Tooth whitening is becoming one of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments for adults in the UK. Why? Because as a society we are becoming more aware of the need to maintain a healthy, youthful appearance, and many of us compare our smiles to the bright, flawless smiles we see in Hollywood. But now we can achieve our own perfect red carpet smile cost-effectively and much more easily than a few years ago. Professional tooth whitening can offer a person a number of benefits to their appearance, confidence and health, which we will look at in this blog.
How does Tooth Whitening work?
Professional tooth whitening is the process of bleaching the teeth to lift stains and discolouration from the tooth surface, or the enamel, lightening teeth by up to several shades. Tooth whitening carried out by a registered dentist is a safe, fast and effective way to reduce darkening and staining on teeth, caused by general ageing or by smoking or drinking tea, coffee or red wine. For many it offers a great way to restore the natural, lighter appearance of the teeth and create a healthier looking, more attractive smile.
There are many tooth whitening treatment options available, which vary in effectiveness and the length of time needed – your dental professional will be able to advise you on the most suitable treatment for your lifestyle and needs.
Is Tooth Whitening right for me?
If you’re considering brightening your smile with Tooth Whitening treatment, there are many physical and psychological advantages:
• Yellow teeth are associated with ageing, so restoring the whiter appearance of teeth will help to create a more youthful, healthy appearance. This can also help people feel younger in themselves, if they are worried about the effects of ageing.
• Did you know that a person’s smile is most often the feature that is noticed first? When first impressions matter, some people may feel self-conscious about having discoloured or stained teeth and may try to hide their smile. Getting a brighter smile through professional tooth whitening can also help to give you confidence in your great looking smile.
• Tooth whitening is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure. It’s a safe treatment that is relatively pain and risk free. Some people may experience sensitivity or mild pain in their teeth and gums, however this is only temporary and there are a number of ways to reduce sensitivity.
• If you are trying to stop smoking, having your teeth whitened is a good way to deter you from the habit, as you most likely won’t want to ruin your new perfect teeth!
• In the same way, tooth whitening can lead to better oral hygiene. As patients have invested in maintaining an attractive and healthy-looking smile, they are more likely to take care of their teeth, improving their overall oral health.
• Tooth whitening is a popular option for people who want to wow their friends and family at a special occasion. A brighter, whiter smile can boost your confidence at a wedding, job interview or all-important event. A white smile can therefore increase happiness in someone’s appearance and help make a positive first impression on others.
• Tooth whitening treatments are relatively inexpensive compared to other cosmetic procedures. Your dentist can provide you with a professional, effective home-whitening kit, which is often cheaper than the in-practice options and can be conveniently carried out at home, when it suits you.
If you’d like to find out more about the range of tooth whitening options available, or to discuss treatment with one of our experienced dentists, you can call 01494 442922 or use our online contact form to book a consultation.